Monday, June 4, 2012
Bring On Summertime!
I love summer. Not because of the nice weather. Anyone who knows me knows I'm a cold weather person. I'll take wind and rain any day. So why do I love summer so much. Here are the reasons!
1. No more HOMEWORK. By the end of the school year I'm sick to death of nagging my kids about homework and grades. Sick. To death.
2. Home is safe. I'm like a mother hen, always wanting my kids gathered safely under my wing. It's getting harder and harder to gather them, especially as my oldest just graduated form high school and my next oldest is 6' 4" and will be a senior. Young adult kids don't like to be under their mother's wings.
3. Sleeping in. I'm NOT a morning person. We get up at 6:15 during the school year. Summer, I'm usually rolling out of the sack around 8:00. (I can hear the collective gasps from all you morning people. Overachievers.)
4. Relaxed schedule. We like to keep thing easy--we're simple folk. Although some might use the word lazy.
5. Vacations. What's up for this summer? England for two weeks. (Can't wait.) And Hebgen Lake Montana for about three weeks. (I've spent every summer of my life at the Hebgen Lake family cabin. It's a little slice of heaven.)
I have other friends that dread summer. How do you feel about it?
Posted by Julie Daines at 8:12 AM
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Well, since I'm a teacher... I LOVE THE SUMMER!ReplyDelete
My plans. Do nothing.
Sounds like you have some awesome plans. Enjoy your summer!Delete
I love summer. I love no school. If I could do it again I would probably home school my kids for all those reasons you listed above.ReplyDelete
Home school? I know I couldn't handle that. I would've sent my kids to your house for school. I could be in charge of snack time and recess.Delete
Dread summer? I'm so burned out from this school year that I can;t wait for it to end and head to the beach for some serious R&R!ReplyDelete
It's hard to imagine how anyone can dread summer, but I have friends that don't like having their kids home all day. It makes them crazy.Delete
I don't think I knew you were a cold weather person. I did know you're not a morning person. I don't have school age kids, so the year is kind of all the same for me. Right now my favorite seasons are spring and fall because the kids can play outside! We were at the park for 2 hours today!! I'm not sure I can take too many more humid Virginia summers :( Today it was about 75 and I don't want to go any higher than that. Sadly, we've only just begun what will probably be a long, hot, moist summer. I'm just glad I'll be away for all of July.ReplyDelete
Hot and humid is not a good combination. And as I recall from my youth in Maryland, they have these annoying gnats in the summer that drove me crazy. You should come and stay for July AND August!Delete
This morning I turned to Jane and said, "Do you think Hebgen will be in Heaven?" And she said, "Jen, Hebgen is Heaven. This is where we are going to spend eternity." It's so obvious; I don't know why I didn't even see it before! I think she's right -- rather: I hope she's right.ReplyDelete
I saw a bumper sticker once that said, "Hebgen is my happy place." I think we should make some!Delete
Fun! I woke up this morning at 4:50 a.m. and got up. I'd love to be able to sleep a little later. Waking at 6 a.m.'s a real treat. ;)ReplyDelete
How do you do it! I'd die if I woke up 4:50 am!Delete
I am TOTALLY with you!! I look forward to sleeping in, spending time at the pool, traveling, and just spending time with my babies...ok they're 13 and 8 so not technically babies...but, you get the picture...:)ReplyDelete
I am a fall person. It means cooler weather, pretty colors in the trees, and football season starts. It seems the horror season picks up and there is still enough nice weather that if I want to fish I can and the bugs are not out. Just amazing.ReplyDelete
I am a summer person through and through. I love it! I love that there's no school and that the kids are home. They fight all the time. I fight all the time with them, but we all love each other. I love Summer sports and olympic games and world cup qualifiers and Euro Cup this year. Parades, the pool, the snow shack, drinking mate outside until late at night. Im so, so ready to sleep in!ReplyDelete
Love the new blog background. I'll take one of the Hebgen bumper stickers please!ReplyDelete
Your summer sounds awesome!! Best wishes on your trips!ReplyDelete
Just came across your blog! Great post!I hope you will visit mine too and let me know if you want to follow each other!ReplyDelete
I don't think I'd like summer as much if it weren't for the invention of the AC. But summer surely has its benefits - like more time to read. ;)ReplyDelete